Registration of A New Organsation / Association
REGISTRATION OF A NEW ORGANIZATION/ASSOCIATION TO PARTICIPATE IN LOCAL AUTHORITY ELECTIONS
A. According to Section 148 of the Electoral Act 5 of 2014 the principal object of an association or organization should be to participate in and promote elections under the Act, including:
- The nomination of persons as candidates for any such elections in accordance with the provisions of the Act;
- The canvassing for votes for a candidate at any such elections;
- The devotion of any of its funds or any part thereof to the election expenses of any candidate taking part in an election;
B. Objects of an association or organization :
- May not be prejudicial to the security of the State, sovereignty and integrity, the public safety, welfare or the peace and good order;
- May not be contrary to the laws of Namibia;
- May not exclude or restrict membership on the grounds of sex, race, colour, ethnic origin, religion, creed, or social or economic status;
- May not use or include words, slogans, or symbols which could give rise to division on any basis specified in the abovementioned paragraph;
- May not provide for discriminatory practices contrary to the Namibian
constitution or any other law;
- May not accept or advocate the use of force or violence as a means of attaining its political objectives;
- May not advocate or aim to carry on its political activities exclusively on one part of Namibia;
- May not advocate or aim to carry on its political activities on the grounds or sex, race, colour, ethnic origin, religion, creed or social or economic
- Must provide for regular, periodic and open election of its office bearers.
C. A person who is not a Namibian citizen may not be appointed to and may not accept appointment as an elected office-bearer of an association or organization.
D. Furthermore, the application must be accompanied by:
- Written proof of the principal objects and other objects of the applicant contemplated in section 135(2)(a) and (b). (Explained in A and B above) Proof of payment of the amount of N$ 2 500 for registration;
- A copy of the applicant’s constitution; and
- A declaration signed by at least 250 members whose names appear on the local authority voters’ register, in respect of the local authority in question, to the effect that these voters support the registration of the association or organization.
- This declaration must also contain the full names and voter registration numbers of the persons who have signed the declaration and the names and number of the regions and constituencies in respect of which the signatories are registered.
E. In addition, the following particulars must appear on the application form:
- The name of the association or organization;
- If the association or organization desires an abbreviation of its name to appear on the ballot paper for an election concerned, the abbreviated name of the political party;
- The full names and signature of the person who for the purposes of the Act is the proposed authorized representative of the association or organization;
- A complete list of the names and addresses of its other proposed officebearers;
- The proposed business address and postal address in Namibia of the proposed office which for the purposes of this Act is the office of the proposed authorized representative of the association or organization; and
- If the association or organization desires its symbol to appear on the ballot paper referred to above, the distinctive symbol of the association ororganization.
Below download more information and the application form on how to register.